Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

life cycle & fallow times

The return of the sun is nourishing my soul. I am fortunate enough to have a place in my home when the sun steams in and I can sit her soaking myself in vitamin D and warmth. Nature is another tool of the spirit for me It’s a source of wonderment and mystery. I have always felt quieter inside when I am immersed in nature.

As a child one of my favorite places to play was a college arboretum a short walk from my home. There was a pond that froze in the winter and I learned to ice skate there. There were stone gazebos built among the trees and bushes where I would pretend to be a princess and my fantasies would take flight. There were paths weaving in and out of shadows where I was always surprised by the discovery of a flower or turtle when I turned the corner. There was a graceful old weeping willow at the water’s edge where I would sit and dream of a wonderful future. I found hope in my arboretum.

It’s the constancy of the life cycle in nature that I turn to now for inspiration about my own future. The cycle from dormancy to renewal, to bloom and flower only to wilt and die to outward appearances while in secret life indulges in regeneration. Our human lives require these fallow periods to regenerate and re-create and re-establish outward living. Work is outward living. Though circumstances in the public world may present us with a fallow period tending to our inner gardens just might be the best use of this time.
How does nature impact your spirit? Where is your green place? What have you benefitted from during fallow periods in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment